Historic Marker Unveiling Today

Plessy & Ferguson Foundation leads effort for historic recognition

NEW ORLEANS—The Plessy & Foundation seeks to showcase places that reflect the full tapestry of New Orleans history and culture.

 “We are very proud to be unveiling this state historic plaque honoring the Pythian Building,” says Plessy & Ferguson co-founder Pastor Brenda Billips Square. “The building was built by an African American organization in 1908 during the height of the Jim Crow era of segregation, and that’s incredible enough, but the fact that it became so central to the city’s African American community makes it vitally significant to New Orleans history.”

The Plessy & Ferguson Foundation will unveil the plaque, which officially recognizes the Pythian Building as a historic landmark by the Louisiana Office of the Lieutenant Governor—Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism, on April 6, at 4:30 pm. The unveiling ceremony will take place at Duncan Plaza, across the street from the Pythian Building (234 Loyola Avenue) and feature members of the Plessy & Ferguson Foundation; civil rights pioneer A.P. Tureaud Jr. ; New Orleans City Council-member LaToya Cantrell; Council-member-At-Large Jason Williams and civil rights activist Dodie Smith-Simons.  

Under the leadership of S.W. Green, a formerly enslaved man and a self-made millionaire, the Colored Knights of the Pythias of Louisiana (officially known as the The Grand Lodge Knights of Pythias of Louisiana. Jurisdiction: North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia) commissioned the Pythian’s construction in 1908. Reporting on the building’s dedication ceremony in 1909, the Times Picayune described it as “the biggest enterprise ever attempted by the colored race of the United States.”

During its heyday, the Pythian Temple—called so because it was the order’s official headquarters—hosted a number of African American businesses such as Green’s Liberty Independent Life Insurance company (Homer Plessy was an employee), a bank, the Negro Board of Trade and the Louisiana Weekly newspaper; a theater, which hosted a number local and traveling theater troupes; and a rooftop garden music venue, which featured a number of jazz legends including Louis Armstrong and Manuel Perez. 

Square says this is the fourth state historical marker sponsored by the Plessy & Ferguson Foundation, and that part of the foundation’s mission to identify and mark significant moments in New Orleans civil rights history that have been lost, distorted, or ignored. 

Green Coast Enterprises, ERG Enterprises, and Crescent City Community Land Trust, are currently redeveloping the Pythian Building,  and are also sponsoring the plaque. 

http://www.greencoastenterprises.com/blog/historical-marker-to-commemorate-pythian-building-plessy-and-ferguson-found/

Architects

Studio WTA 

Landis Construction

Inside Jones School Post Katrina

Keith Plessy in front of his civil rights paintings inside Valena C. Jones Elementary School in 2015.

Plessy Day 2015

Plessy Day Weekend 2015

plessyday2015banner-noborder

Thank you all for coming to Plessy Weekend, and making the 6th annual celebration a success.  Also many thanks to those who shared stories, spoke out about their experiences, and participated in the screenings on Press st.  We hope to see you again next year

Photos from Plessy Day 2015

AP Tureaud, Jr. joined us remotely to speak about the significance of the naming of schools, history, and the future of New Orleans’ public education.

50th Anniversary of the Desegregation of New Orleans Public Schools

50th Anniversary of the Desegregation of New Orleans Public Schools

Unveiling-crop

On November 14th, 2010, the 50th Anniversary of the Integration of the public elementary schools in New Orleans, with the generous support of citizens from all around the United States, a marker was placed in the 5900 block of Saint Claude Avenue across the street from the McDonough # 19 elementary school, in the ninth ward, one of two schools that were desegregated on that day in 1960.

In September of 1952, Thurgood Marshall and Robert Carter of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, and legendary attorney A.P. Tureaud, initiated a suit calling for the end of the segregated school system in Orleans Parish. The ceremony took place at approximately 9:00 am, the exact time the children were escorted into the school by federal marshals. The marker was placed at 5909 Saint Claude Avenue across the street from McDonogh #19 Elementary School.

At the ceremony was Gail Etienne, Leona Tate, and Tessie Prevost, the Marshals who escorted them into the school in 1960, and A.P. Tureaud Jr., Damon Hewitt of the Legal Defense Fund other distinguished guests.

Video of the 50th Anniversary Ceremony.